A funny thing happened to me yesterday on my way to trying to actually get some work done…
I frequently will open a Dynamics CRM Developer Toolkit solution in Visual Studio when I’m disconnected from the actual Dynamics CRM server. Visual Studio will kindly let me know that it can’t find CRM, I tell it, “yep, I know”, and it continues to load the solution without any problems. Once I’m ready to actually connect to CRM, a quick selection of the Tools | ”Connect to Dynamics CRM Server…” menu item and I’m on my way.
Except yesterday when Mr. Murphy was visiting for the day…
This time, all went as normal, except that when I went to connect to CRM, the Tools | ”Connect to Dynamics CRM Server…” menu item was missing!
And of course, I was in a hurry!
Well, after doing some digging, and comparing to other CRM 2011 Developer Toolkit solutions, I found the problem: The .sln file was missing a section!
If you ever encounter this problem, the fix is VERY easy.
Open your .sln file for the CRM 2011 Developer Toolkit solution, locate the “Global” section, and make sure that the first entry is as follows:
A complete empty CRM .sln file follows with the key GlobalSection highlighted that MUST be present for Visual Studio to know that it is a CRM solution.
- It is an honor to be of service